Posts Tagged 'repurposed'

dirtbag challenge 2013 bike – critical miss v1

ryan and i dragged out the kawasaki roadrunner we tried to build a few years ago and made it our 2013 dirtbag build. everything we did all those years ago had to be done over, but in the end it turned out to be a fun little ripper.
well, until the piston melted down on the dirtbag ride. as it turns out, taking a 46 year old 120cc two stroke trail bike with stock gearing out on the freeway for miles isn’t a great idea. who would have thought?
obviously we didn’t “finish” it, but with ~$300 and probably ~15-20 hours invested, we didn’t do that bad. the bike had been sitting in a guy’s back yard for 20 years or more when we got it and i had to break up the stock piston with a hammer to get it out of the cylinder. we are pretty stoked we even got it running in time for the dbc.
we have a new piston and ryan will be rehashing it next year for his dirtbag 2014 bike and i’ll be building something new, so i figured i’d get some shitty pictures of version one before that happens.

video of the first start at the bottom!

IMG_0911

IMG_0912

IMG_0915

IMG_0916

IMG_0917

IMG_0918

IMG_0920

IMG_0921

IMG_0922

IMG_0923

IMG_0924

IMG_0925

IMG_0926

IMG_0927

IMG_0930

IMG_0931

IMG_0932

IMG_0933

IMG_0934

IMG_0936

IMG_0937

IMG_0939

IMG_0940

IMG_0941

IMG_0942

Advertisements

L’s maxi pipe coat rack

a few years ago L wanted a coat rack for our place, rather than buy one i figured i would make one. i was still in sacramento at the time working on mopeds for people at the motomatic warehouse and had a couple maxi pipes laying around, so i figured i’d go for it. with some scrounging i found a dented rim and a super shark-toothed rear maxi sprocket and a random header. after some work, this is what i came up with.
IMG_0118

i used three headers for the hooks and welded plugs in the ends to cap them off.
IMG_0119

for the bottom i cut the dented rim into sections and dressed the ends so they weren’t rough or snaggy, and ground the teeth on the sprocket to be back to more or less normal sprocket tooth shaped (but also not sharp or snaggy) and welded it all together.
IMG_0121

the whole thing was cleaned with degreaser and soap and water, but deep down inside the thing there’s still some 30 year old carbon that lingers. i was going to cap the ends of the exhaust pipes if the thing was stinky, but it’s totally not so i didn’t bother.
i’ve always meant to get pictures of it but it’s had stuff hanging on it since the day i brought it home and never had a chance to get any, our move last weekend finally gave me a chance.


enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 121 other followers

  • 19,968 yous guys